The master programme is research orientated. Students are expected to become familiar with a wide range of areas from the subjects offered at the Institute for Musicology. These are:
– Historical Musicology
– Systematic Musicology
– Study of musical instruments (at the Museum für Musikinstrumente Leipzig)
– Music texture
Our master degree course is aimed at:
a) Students with a bachelor's degree in Musicology who wish to expand their knowledge of the main areas in this field of study
b) Students who graduated in a music related subject other than Musicology (e.g. Science of Art with focus on music, music pedagogy, church music, other subjects related to practical music, humanities bachelor with a minor in musicology) and wish to specialize in Musicology
c) Students with a bachelor's degree in a different subject who took Musicology as a minor
Please take a look at the details of our application procedure and admission requirements. Applicants can apply for the enrolment in the winter and summer term.
The master programme opens new perspectives for potential scientific work (PhD/Promotion) and encourages an expansion of knowledge and methods for music related careers (media, cultural institutions, publishers, etc.).
To qualify for the Musicology master programme at Universität Leipzig, applicants are required to hold one of the following degrees:
– degree in Musicology (usually bachelor)
– a musical related degree
– a degree in a different subject (e.g. science of arts, history) with at least 60 CP achieved in Musicology
– equivalent accomplishments
For admission to the master programme a written application is required. It must be sent to the Institute of Musicology directly. The application (scans or copies are sufficient) must contain the following documents:
– a brief and well-explained cover letter (you are invited to point out your personal subject-specific interests)
– a CV
– an equivalent degree to German Abitur
– a degree certificate or proof that a degree can be achieved with a regular course of study, until the beginning of the master programme
– if applicable: proof of subject related professional qualifications, internships or other activities related to the designated course of study
There is no test to be passed for the admission. Aptitude decisions are made by a commission on the basis of your submitted documents. Details are explained in the aptitude assessment regulations (Eignungsfeststellungsordnung).
Applications must be submitted by 20th August for enrolment in the winter term (starting in October) or 20th February for enrolment in the summer term (starting in April).
Send the application to the following postal or e-mail address:
Institut für Musikwissenschaft
Neumarkt 9–19, Aufgang E
In addition to the application for the aptitude assessment, to be sent directly to the Institute of Musicology (as described above), another application for admission (Zulassungsantrag) is required, which must either be sent to the Studiensekretariat (student's office) of Universität Leipzig or to the Akademisiches Auslandsamt (international student office). For that to happen, apply online via: www.zv.uni-leipzig.de/studium/bewerbung.html
If you need any help ore more information about application modalities of foreign students and degrees acquired abroad, click here or write an email to mentoring programme for international students.