Ariane Kovac has been a research assistant at the Institute for Religious Studies since February 2020. She is currently working on her PhD on (failed) healing, emotional practices, and therapeutic discourses among pentecostal-charismatic congregations in Germany and the US, which forms part of the research project "When healing fails", funded by the DFG (German Research Foundation).
Before, she studied political science and sociology in Jena and Bonn and worked as a student assistant at the Forum Internationale Wissenschaft, University of Bonn. She wrote her master thesis on practices of reconciliation and forgiveness in pentecostal churches after the Peruvian Civil War.
Her reserch interests include pentecostal and charismatic churches in the Americas and Germany, religious healing, entanglements between religious and therapeutic discourses, and reconciliation and forgiveness after political conflict.
- since 02/2020
Research Assistant, Institute for Religious Studies, University of Leipzig
- 09/2017 - 07/2019
Student Assistant, Forum Internationale Wissenschaft, University of Bonn
- 04/2015 - 07/2015
Tutor, Department of International Organizations and Globalization, University of Jena
- 04/2014 - 03/2016
Student assistant, Department of Political Theory and History of Ideas, University of Jena
- since 02/2020
PhD project: Failed Healing in evangelical-charismatic congregations in Germany and the US
- 10/2016 - 07/2019
Sociology (M.A.) at the University of Bonn
- 10/2012 - 04/2016
Political Science and Geography (B.A.) at the University of Jena
- Kovac, A.Political Violence and Religious Change in Ayacucho, Peru: Reconciliation and Forgiveness as Local Mechanisms among Evangelical Conflict SurvivorsIn: Silva Torres, K. A.; Rozo Higuera, C.; Leon Barboza, D. S. (Eds.)Social and Political Transitions During the Left Turn in Latin America. London: Routledge. 2022. pp. 230-251
- Kovac, A.Rezension zu: Nora Kim Kurzewitz, Gender und Heilung. Die Bedeutung des Pentekostalismus für Frauen in Costa RicaZeitschrift für Religionswissenschaft. 2021. 29 (1). pp. 148-151
- Kovac, A.Rezension zu: Stefanie Wiehl: Genozidale Gewalt? Der peruanische Staatsterror 1980–1994Zeitschrift für Geschichtswissenschaft. 2021. 69 (5). pp. 492-493
- Kovac, A.“Press down while you pray” – Churchome und das Beten via AppMarginalien. Religionswissenschaftliche Randbemerkungen. Online unter: https://marginalie.hypotheses.org/1616. 2021
- Kovac, A.Redeemed, Reborn, Forgiven. Local Processes of Forgiveness and Reconciliation in Post-Civil War Evangelical Communities in Ayacucho, PeruForum Internationale Wissenschaft Bonn. 2020