The aim of the DFG-funded project "Akkadian Noun Patterns" is an unprecedented, comprehensive, monographic description of the formation of Akkadian nouns, the "nominal forms". Project duration: 2016–2019.
The project pursues the following goals:
- The creation of a comprehensive overview of all Akkadian noun patterns.
- The assignment of all nouns found in the Akkadian hereditary vocabulary to these noun patterns. The material is taken from the Akkadian dictionaries Akkadisches Handwörterbuch and Chicago Assyrian Dictionary, and supplemented and corrected using the materials collected and analysed in the ongoing DFG-funded project "Etymological Dictionary of Akkadian" (project leaders: Manfred Krebernik and Michael P. Streck).
- Morphological and semantic analysis of all noun patterns.
- Analysis of chronological and dialectal differentiation within the history of Akkadian concerning the formation and usage of noun patterns.
- Analysis of the integration of loan words into the system of Akkadian noun patterns.
- Comparison of Akkadian noun patterns with those found in the most prominent Semitic languages.